Wednesday, September 27, 2017

I Got a New Friend by Karl Newsom Edwards

image source Amazon.com
 
I Got a New Friend by Karl Newsom Edwards

by AHK

Another pet book! If you want to do an inclusive theme, pets is your best bet for the most options. This one is terribly sweet. There's not really a plot, just a sweet portrayal of what it's like to have a new friend--the twist at the end is that it's the puppy narrating and the girl is the new friend. For each line of text, both puppy and child mirror each other actions and emotions. Readers assume the girl is speaking until the end. Although it's slight, it's successful and would work perfectly for toddler storytime. I would even use this with babies after shortening it a tad.

Themes/Topics: pets, friendship

Sample text from three spreads: 

At first, [my new friend] was sort of scared. But she got used to me. 

My friend likes to play outside. 

She messes up the house and sleeps on the furniture. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow this is an amazing program that you guys have created. This surely will help youngsters to know about the Native American Culture and its philosophy.

    ReplyDelete