Wednesday, July 26, 2017

I’m Big Now by Anthea Simmons and Georgie Birkett



I’m Big Now by Anthea Simmons and Georgie Birkett (2017)
It’s always refreshing to find a new sibling book that is positive, and this one does a great job of honoring the feelings of the older sister, while still framing things in a positive helpful manner. To deal with her feelings of jealousy and displacement, she pretends to be a baby. In each case, a loving family member affirms her feelings and reminds her that she’s a big girl now in rhyming text.

Themes/topics: siblings, new baby, growing up, pretending

Sample text from two spreads:
The baby’s got his mushy food, he gets it in his hair. But I’ve got crunchy cereal and I sit on a chair.
“Would you like breakfast all mashed up?” Mummy teases me.
“No!” I can eat my big girl food with big girl teeth you see.

The baby’s on the changing mat and he’s not very happy.
I’m up on my potty. I don’t have to wear a nappy.
“This was you, once,” Daddy says.
“You hated diapers, too.”

“I’m a big girl, now,” I say. “I do what big girls do.”


No comments:

Post a Comment