Thursday, March 9, 2017

I am Josephine (and I am a living thing) by Jan Thornhill and Jacqui Lee





I am Josephine (and I am a living thing) by Jan Thornhill and Jacqui Lee (2016)

This book made me so happy when it came across my desk—I don’t order nonfiction, so it was a surprise.  Josephine tells us that she is a human being, talks about other human beings, and invites readers to point out other human beings on a full spread. She then defines herself as a mammal, an animal, and a living thing following the same pattern. This book is a great introduction to the concept of how humans fit into broader categories, while still being unique individually. The delightful pictures, by the illustrator of the fabulous reader series, Murilla Gorilla, are large, clear, and perfect for sharing during storytime.

Themes/topics: people, self-esteem, individuality, STEM, categories

Sample text from two spreads:
I am Josephine, and I am a living thing.
I am a living thing, and so is my brother, Felix, and so is a butterfly, and so is a tree, and so is a penguin. How many different living things can you find on this page?

No comments:

Post a Comment